This is my version of a Rombauer/Becker recipe from the 1975 edition of the Joy of Cooking (p. 97), called Coleslaw for Barbeque.
For the dressing:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2-3 tsp mild vinegar
- 1/8 tsp Worchestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- salt and pepper
Before you measure the mayo, mix the other ingredients until the sugar and salt are dissolved, then add the mayo. Set aside to marry.
For the veggie part of the salad, I use:
- 3-6 cups leafy greens, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1-2 cups shredded nappa cabbage
- 1 carrot, grated or chopped fine
- 1/2 green or red pepper, cut into strips (or both)
- 2-4 green onions, sliced
If you’re going on a picnic, keep the veggie part in a large plastic bag, and add the dressing when you’re ready to eat. You can even mix the salad in the bag.
The R/B version calls for regular green cabbage, but I like the less-pungent flavor of the nappa much better.